Subject: Re: Generell questions for switching ...
To: Dennis <mips128@gmx.net>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/28/2006 04:58:45
On May 28, 2006, at 4:45 AM, Dennis wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am running Debian testing on my Qube2 for over a year, but I am
> not satisfied with it.
> I use my Q2 as a:
> - printserver: I have an brother HL-2030 Laser printer and it works
> with foomatics. I installed a pci usb 2.0 card in my Q2 (with a via
> chipset).
> - file server (ftp and samba), but I am going to use sshfs
> - tiny webserver.

I think the NEC chipset USB cards are better/known supported for the
Qube2.  The only people I recall posting success here are using NEC
chipset cards and 3.0 or -current.

> I want to move on to NetBSB, because I need a simple way w/o
> patching the kernel to crypt my HDD. Therefore, I want to use gcd.
> I am very familiar with Linux and I have a few experiences with
> FreeBSD, the only thing I want to ask if there are any known
> problem with these tasks:
> 1. Getting the printer over usb up and running (using foomatic and
> cups)

Foomatic and CUPS work fine here for my Samsung ML-1740.  I'm using
network printing though, through a Belkin USB printserver.
If you put -current on, and perhaps switch to a NEC chipset card (the
VIA one might be fine, I have no idea) it should be OK via USB.
Certainly CUPS is fine.

> 2. Is the qube able to handel gcd (preformance, I know it will be
> slow, but how slow)?
no idea....

Hope that helps.

Brian