Subject: Re: perl on netbsd 3.99
To: JEFF SCOTT <jeff.scott@usa.net>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/08/2006 14:41:02
On May 8, 2006, at 12:47 PM, JEFF SCOTT wrote:

> hello,
>
> I'm new to this group, and just build my first raq2 w/netbsd.  I'm
> a long time
> cobalt and linux user, so I'm not to savvy on netbsd.  The build
> went find,
> but slow (2-3 hours on 60gb disk).  However, I don't seem to have
> perl and can
> not find a perl package for 3.99.
>
> Any reason perl is not included?  Box is worthless to me without it.

perl is part of pkgsrc,

/usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5/work/perl-5.8.6/
I guess is what you want?

to get pkgsrc,

setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@anoncvs.NetBSD.org:/cvsroot
setenv CVS_RSH ssh
cd /usr
cvs checkout -P pkgsrc

and wait a while.
This will give you the -current pksrc to go with your -current install.

to update pkgsrc later--

setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@anoncvs.NetBSD.org:/cvsroot
setenv CVS_RSH ssh
cd /usr/pkgsrc
cvs -q update -dP
/usr/pkg/sbin/download-vulnerability-list

then just cd to the folder you wish to compile, and make install.

there's a pkgsrc introduction on the netbsd homepage, too.

HTH.

-Brian