Subject: Re: perl on netbsd 3.99
To: JEFF SCOTT <jeff.scott@usa.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/08/2006 11:34:52
On 5/8/06, JEFF SCOTT <jeff.scott@usa.net> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'm new to this group, and just build my first raq2 w/netbsd.  I'm a long=
 time
> cobalt and linux user, so I'm not to savvy on netbsd.  The build went fin=
d,
> but slow (2-3 hours on 60gb disk).  However, I don't seem to have perl an=
d can
> not find a perl package for 3.99.
>
> Any reason perl is not included?  Box is worthless to me without it.

If you're asking why Perl is not included with NetBSD, it never has
been as far as I know. It's not up to the NetBSD core developers to
maintain it and ship it.

If you want it, you have to get it through pkgsrc.

Get the pkgsrc tarball from the NetBSD ftp site (packages directory)
untar it in the /usr directory, and then go to the directory for perl
(don't remember what it is off hand) and build it through pkgsrc.

Andy