Subject: Re: Qube2 Network Performance & Forwarding
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/28/2006 22:18:13
On Apr 28, 2006, at 1:41 AM, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> In article <0BBE9272-AE52-43DB-A255-09F8574F3D71@pacang.com>
> bservies@pacang.com wrote:
>
>> I've always felt that the chipset needs to be re-initialized during
>> boot, instead of relying on the rom initialization; the linux version
>> for the qube2 does this re-initialization.  One symptom of this are
>> the lights on the ethernet ports: on my qube, one of them doesn't
>> have connected light turned on due to incorrect autosense detection.
>>
>> One Linux, eeprom fixups are performed to fix this.
>
> With a quick grance, if cobalt quirk is handled in
> sys/dev/pci/if_tlp_pci.c, no other SROM contents are
> used in sys/dev/ic/tulip.c, and if it always uses 10baseT
> we can't get rate >1MB/sec, I think.
>
> What does "ifconfig -m tlp1" say on your Qube (or Qube2)?

qube2:

piglet: {5} uname -a
NetBSD piglet.central 1.6.2 NetBSD 1.6.2 (BYRON) #1: Mon Mar  1
21:23:26 PST 2004     root@piglet.central:/usr/src/sys/arch/cobalt/
compile/BYRON cobalt

piglet: {1} ifconfig -m tlp1
tlp1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         address: 00:10:e0:00:3d:8c
         media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT)
         status: active
         supported Ethernet media:
                 media none
                 media 10baseT
                 media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex
                 media 100baseTX
                 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
                 media autoselect
         inet 63.193.245.242 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 63.193.245.255
piglet: {2} ifconfig -m tlp0
tlp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         address: 00:10:e0:00:3d:71
         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
         status: active
         supported Ethernet media:
                 media none
                 media 10baseT
                 media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex
                 media 100baseTX
                 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
                 media autoselect
         inet 10.8.6.254 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 10.8.255.255

Now, in my setup, tlp1 is connected to a 10bT link, so that is normal.

> Can you check SROM contents of both tlp by enabling
> "tlp_srom_debug = 1" in tulip.c?

Alas, not right now.  The only qube2 I have running I need to leave
that way and don't have time to experiment for a few weeks yet.

Byron