Subject: Qube2 Network Performance & Forwarding
To: NetBSD Cobalt list <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Francis Koclas <netbsd@geekrants.org>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/26/2006 21:18:33
Hi,

Consider the following setup :

tlp0 : 192.168.1.1
tlp1: 192.168.2.1
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

WorkstationA : 192.168.1.2
WorkstationB : 192.168.2.2

I) FTP Transfer from one workstation to the other.

WorkstationA --> switch --> Qube2 --> WorkstationB (tlp0 --> tlp1)
~ 1.7 MB/s

WorkstationB --> Qube2 --> switch --> WorkstationA (tlp1 --> tlp0)
~ 3.1 MB/s

II) FTP Transfer from one workstation to the other.
with swapped cables/config between tlp0 and tlp1

WorkstationA --> switch --> Qube2 --> WorkstationB (tlp1 --> tlp0)
~ 1.7 MB/s

WorkstationB --> Qube2 --> switch --> WorkstationA (tlp0 --> tlp1)
~ 3.1 MB/s

III) FTP Transfer from one workstation to the other.
both computers on the same switch, network & subnet

WorkstationA --> switch --> WorkstationB
~ 11 MB/s

WorkstationB --> switch --> WorkstationA
~ 10.6 MB/s

I have a couple questions related to these numbers;

1) What is causing the rather slow speeds in I and II? The Qube2's CPU
remains 100% idle while it forwards. In linux (debian 3.1 with kernel
2.4.28 i think) it makes the Qube2 roughly 80% idle and the speeds get
bumped to a little bit more than 6 MB/s.

2) Is this a problem specific to the built-in 21143 chips?

3) Why is one way slower than the other? Even if I swap the
ifconfig.tlp0 and ifconfig.tlp1, and swap the network cables, the same
thing happens, so tlp0 is not any faster than tlp1 or whatever. The NICs
on the workstations are very capable and they're not the bottleneck here
  (Sun Gem in WorkstationA, 3c905C in WorkstationB). As you can see they
can pretty much saturate 100baseTX..

4) Is there any cobalt specific tweaking to improve network performance?

5) What are good, known to work PCI NICs for the Qube2? I tried a 3Com
3c905C and I only get a couple KB/s with it.. Also, anyone tried dual
ports cards? I would ask for quad ports too, but I doubt those would
actually fit in there.

Thanks

Francis