Subject: Re: 3.0 Question
To: NetBSD Cobalt list <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/07/2006 17:18:55
On Apr 7, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> What USB host adapter did you try?
> VIA boards may have problems on non intel based machines.

I have a NEC chipset USB card that I never tried yet.

Mostly, as I haven't done anything with adding devices under BSD
before :) although I don't think it's too hard, I just have had no
real need for a USB device yet.  It would be handy for backups of /
home on occasion though.

I am running 3.0 -current from the prepared July 2005 install CD; but
I can drop a newer kernel in if need be (do I need to? I mean, I have
not grabbed the src for 3.0, is the available kernel src the one I
need or should I wait a bit- or use the kernel binary just posted).

if someone can give me a brief primer on what to do I will drop the
card in this weekend and see what happens.

I can test it with a handful of USB storage devices or external
drives.  Does this really need done, are most people working  happily
with USB at this time?

Thanks,

Brian