Subject: Re: The Kernel Building Game...
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Fr=F6hlich?= <phf@cs.jhu.edu>
From: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/26/2006 18:22:04
Hmm,
It always worked for me although sometimes my own kernel had more=20
problems than the standard one.
I just followed instructions here :

http://netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel

Although as I never use -current I never build tools just use the ones=20
that come with the release.
I build new kernel to free up some room. IMHO, GENERIC has way too much=20
things in it. Qube has pretty limited hardware and there is no need to=20
include all of the SCSI things plus all other raid stuff, etc. But I=20
guess if you cater to everyone's taste you'd have to build 50 different=20
kernels.

Regards,
Alex

Peter Fr=F6hlich wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> So my Qube is running 3.0 fine, everything's working nicely, I got all=20
> the tools I need for my compiler course installed as well, and now I=20
> made the mistake of trying to build my own kernel again...
>=20
> This has *never* worked for me before on the Qube, neither on 1.6, 2.0,=
=20
> nor 3.0 as it turns out (last time it *did* work for me was 0.9 or=20
> something on an Amiga over 10 years ago, how sad is that? :-). Can=20
> someone please clearly answer this question:
>=20
>   Am I supposed to build the Qube kernel on the Qube using build.sh or =
not?
>=20
> If I am supposed to, then it's just not working. I can rebuild the tool=
s=20
> for hours, try to build the kernel for hours (which always rebuilds=20
> nbmake as well, what a strange waste to always do this whether I say -u=
=20
> or not), but it also always ends up breaking somewhere. Am I just so=20
> dense that I can't follow supposedly simple instructions from the NetBS=
D=20