Subject: The Kernel Building Game...
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Fr=F6hlich?= <phf@cs.jhu.edu>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/26/2006 18:31:52
Hi all,

So my Qube is running 3.0 fine, everything's working nicely, I got all
the tools I need for my compiler course installed as well, and now I
made the mistake of trying to build my own kernel again...

This has *never* worked for me before on the Qube, neither on 1.6, 2.0,
nor 3.0 as it turns out (last time it *did* work for me was 0.9 or
something on an Amiga over 10 years ago, how sad is that? :-). Can
someone please clearly answer this question:

   Am I supposed to build the Qube kernel on the Qube using build.sh or
not?

If I am supposed to, then it's just not working. I can rebuild the
tools for hours, try to build the kernel for hours (which always
rebuilds nbmake as well, what a strange waste to always do this whether
I say -u or not), but it also always ends up breaking somewhere. Am I
just so dense that I can't follow supposedly simple instructions from
the NetBSD Guide?

If I am *not* supposed to use build.sh, then could someone *please* add
that to the NetBSD Guide? Clearly? Just say somewhere:

   If you're *not* cross-compiling, stay the heck away from that weird
build.sh stuff!

Sorry, I am obviously slightly frustrated... :-/ I just can't believe
that pkgsrc is *so* straightforward to use, but a kernel build can be
*such* a pain...

Cheers,
Peter

PS: Of course the "direct" approach doing a config followed by a make
(without build.sh) works just fine. I am not sure yet that the kernel
actually works, but at least I can build one that way.
--
Peter H. Froehlich <><><><><><> http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~phf/