Subject: NetBSD 3.0 DHCP
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Aaron Webster <aaronweb@iimetro.com.au>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/24/2006 17:56:39
hello all

I have had a qube 2 running NetBSD 1.6.1 for quite some time without
any problems. The other day the hard drive failed. so after replacing
the hard drive i decided to upgrade to NetBSD 3.0 useing the restore
CD posted on here. The install goes fine but after the qube does it's
reboot the dhcp is not detected. I  know this problem has been
encountered by others here but noone has posted a way to get a ip
address without using a serial cable (which i dont have a serial port
to connect to). I have tried using 2 dhcp servers (the restore CD and
my ADSL router) The buttons on the qube do not function to be able to
input an ip address manualy (which i could do under version 1.6.1).

I thought no problems i'll just rip the drive out and mount it on the
I386 booting from the restore cd and add a ifconfig.tlp0 entry. only
problem with this is there is no editor that will run under the I386
kernel. So i thought i'll try doing the same using an old version of
redhat that has a rescue ability. Only problem is it will only mount
the /boot partition and will not mount the rest of the drives
partitions.

So my question is . Has anyone found a work around to this problem or
has anyone created or know where a restore cd is, which either has
the dhcp fixed or got a ifconfig.tlp0 which installs by default.

Thanks
Aaron
--
True knowledge lies in knowing how to live.
        --Baltasar Graci=E1n