Subject: Disk size limitation ?
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Davidson <andy@nosignal.org>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/18/2006 18:00:20
Hi,

A slightly tired raq2 would make an ideal dev environment for one of my
projects.  I want to replace the disk, because the one which shipped
with the device is starting to fail.

The only spare disk I have is a Seagate st380011A - this is an 80GB
disk.

The installer seems to work fine - I saw the lcd panel appear to go
through the motion of building the filesystems and restoring the fs
tarballs onto the disk.

I have seen the warnigs about disk configuration during the install
(i.e. you may need to configure your disk to know that it is the only
disk, and the master).

The disk was originally configured in 'cable select' mode, and the raq
would not boot :

BOOTLOADER ramcode: selected partition /dev/hda1
Decompressing done
Executing bootloader kernel...
Jump_to_Real_Kernel: disk error, trying BFD again
BOOTLOADER ramcode: selected partition /dev/hdc1
Decompressing - done
Executing bootloader kernel...
Jump_to_Real_Kernel: disk error, trying BFD again
get_root_dev: nr_boot_failures 0x00000002 exceeds maxtries 0x00000002
for boot_index 0x00000000

Head slapping, I configured the disk to know that it was the master on
the ide chain :

BOOTLOADER ramcode: selected partition /dev/hda1
Decompressing done
Executing bootloader kernel...
Decompressing -- done.
[nothing else]

... lets try again by specifying where to find the kernel ..

Cobalt: bfd /boot/netbsd-INSTALL.gz
Decompressing done
Executing bootloader kernel...
Jump_to_Real_Kernel: disk error, trying BFD again
BOOTLOADER ramcode: selected partition /dev/hdc1
Decompressing - done
Executing bootloader kernel...
Jump_to_Real_Kernel: disk error, trying BFD again
get_root_dev: nr_boot_failures 0x00000002 exceeds maxtries 0x00000002
for boot_index 0x00000000

I then found a reference to a note saying I should configure the jumper
settings to tell the disk that it was the only device on the chain.  The
nearest setting that I could find is 'no compatible ata disk on this
chain' - the same happens as above.

Is anyone running a RAQ2 with a disk of this size ?  I'm starting to
feel that I may have hit a limit with this 80GB drive .. ?

cheers
-a