Subject: Re: Notes on 3.0 Install
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Froehlich <phf@cs.jhu.edu>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/30/2006 20:33:58
Hi all,

On Jan 30, 2006, at 17:41, Peter Froehlich wrote:

> I installed 1.6.2 and the output for dhclient there is *very*
> different from the output I get under 3.0. So for some reason the
> whole dhclient thing is broken in the 3.0 install from the restore CD,
> at least as far as I can tell. However, I don't see how I can learn
> enough about DHCP and the configuration in the next few days to fix
> it. :-/

Actually, I just did a "MAKEDEV all" on the 3.0 Qube and now dhclient
seems to work okay. Must have been that "bpf device" thing mentioned
here:

   http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200001/answerman.html#qC

Note that "works okay" means that I get an IP address; I still don't
get a hostname automatically, something that also works when using the
1.6 restore CD.

Shouldn't the "MAKEDEV all" be done as part of the automated
installation? Rowdy, are you keeping track of this stuff or should I
write everything I find up myself?

Cheers,
Peter
--