Subject: Re: Notes on 3.0 Install
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Froehlich <phf@cs.jhu.edu>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/30/2006 12:17:20
Hi all,

On Jan 30, 2006, at 03:50, Jorg Dekker wrote:

> By pre-creating a ifconfig, I managed to solve my unknown host problem
> on 3.0 without requiring a serial cable.

Congratulations! :-)

However, it doesn't explain *why* the default setup after a 3.0 install
does not have working DHCP. I have installed again (since I got my
shiny new drive) and it's the same as before: For some reason dhclient
simply does not talk to the server.

I am not very well-versed debugging this kind of stuff, but I know for
sure that dhclient simply won't start "all the way" i.e. it never
detaches and becomes a background process. It doesn't give an error
either, which is very strange of course, I just keep getting these huge
copyright messages in my syslog. :-/ There's no /etc/dhclient.conf
file, but apparently that's not really needed.

BTW, it doesn't matter if I do "dhclient" by itself or "dhclient tlp0",
neither gets me a working IP. Is there a decent FAQ on debugging DHCP
setups? The small NetBSD DHCP thingy doesn't really help me here, their
config file does not make dhclient work either. BTW, of course I don't
*need* DHCP in the first place, but I was playing with it some more
because I think that part of the restore CD install is broken and
should be fixed.

Cheers,
Peter

PS: On this second install, I did again get .cshrc and .profile files
in / which I think is a bug as well. I am now burning a 1.6 restore CD
as I am not sure that 3.0 CD is really "sound" right now. :-(
--
Peter H. Froehlich <><><><><><> http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~phf/