Subject: Re: Notes on 3.0 Install
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Jorg Dekker <jorg@dutchbloke.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/27/2006 12:26:03
Hi.

This is my first post here.....but thought I'd share my experience of
NetBSD Restore CDs.

After reading this forum and many websites (including
http://www.shon.org/qube/, http://home.clara.net/pete.rushmere/teraqube/
& http://www.aironaut.ch/qube) I decided to try installing NetBSD 3.0 on
my Qube2 (well Gateway Microserver). Now, firstly I'm pretty new to
LINUX/UNIX, but am keen to learn, and all the how-to's where very easy
to follow, and made sense to me - nothing too scary.

I used a PC with Crossover cable.

All went fine with 3.0, Netbooted ok - installed ok and rebooted. Then I
got the 'Unkown Host'.
The first time I left the restore cd in the pc (so I assume it should
have taken an ip from there).
Then I tried booting the i386 into SUSE running dhcp server, rebooted
Qube - still no luck
Then I tried WinXP with shareware DHCP, rebooted Qube - still no luck
Then I tried plugging Qube into my Netgear ADSL router (running dhcp
server) - still no luck, and the router didn't show any leases.

Very frustrating as I knew I was very close and all I had to do was get
on there to give it a fixed ip. However, as I didn't have a serial cable
I was stuck. At any one point the Qube2 could only have reached 1 DHCP
server - it seemed to simply not work. Pre-creating a /etc/ifconfig.tlp
sounds like a good idea - I'm sure it would solve my problem.

I decided to try a NetBSD 2.0 Restore CD instead.
Again all went fine during the installation - execpt after reboot the
LCD was blank.
However, I could see from my SUSE box it had allocated an ip. Which I
could telnet to and I was away! :o)

Since then I haven't had much time to 'play' with my Qube2/NetBSD2.0 box
- but I have the following planned:
- Upgrade RAM from stock 16m to 64/128 - need to find a cheap supplier...
- Upgrade disk from the old spare 20gb I had to approx 160gb (heard good
things about the Samsung Spinpoints)
- Get a serial cable and get 3.0 working ;o)

Jorg.

ps - I'm having fun 'playing' with NetBSD etc - reading through this
forum has really helped! Cheers!