Subject: Re: Notes on 3.0 Install
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/27/2006 08:25:33
Peter Fröhlich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Jan 26, 2006, at 08:25, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Peter Fröhlich wrote:
>>> - When booting, I get several (from two to six I guess) failed
>>> boot attempts, the Qube says something about "wrong length" or
>>> so; I figure that's a disk problem, I used a very old 2 GB drive
>>> for this test. Unless someone else has similar issues?
>>
>> I doubt that's related to disk. IIRC you netboot the machine for
>> this install? Do you have any other DHCP servers that may serve
>> bogus contents?
>
> Wait, I am not net-booting anymore after the install is done, right?
> So why would the Qube even look for a kernel on the network (which I
> assume you think is going on)? Or maybe I misunderstand completely...
>

> Just to be clear, this doesn't happen *during* the install but
> *after* the install when I boot the Qube from disk.
>
> Peter

The network interfaces on the Qube/Raq do try to get their IP address
from DHCP until/unless you change the config (i.e. by creating
/etc/ifconfig.tlp0).

As I understand it, when you netboot the Qube during a restore-CD-based
installation, it will obtain an IP address from the i386 machine running
the restore CD, then install NetBSD via NFS from the i386 box.  After
the installation completes, the Qube reboots, and again should obtain an
IP address from the i386 box.  At this point I would create a
/etc/ifconfig.tlp0 file to specify a fixed IP address, thereafter the
Qube is able to boot by itself and I can turn off the i386 box.  If you
simply turn off the i386 box and reboot the Qube, in the absence of a
DHCP server on the network the Qube's IP address would be 0.0.0.0.

For the record, I have a FreeBSD server that also provided DHCP (for
deprecated reasons), and it was conflicting with the DHCP server on the
i386 restore box until I disabled the FreeBSD DHCP server.

Rowdy