Subject: Disk "Wrapper" Question (off topic?)
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Fr=F6hlich?= <phf@cs.jhu.edu>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/26/2006 08:20:47
Hi all,

I am about to install a new 160 GB drive in my Qube. I had only opened
the thing once before to install memory, but this time I took the
existing drive out for my 3.0 experiment (see earlier post about the
flaky 2.0 GB disk).

To my surprise, the default Seagate drive has a soft black plastic
"thing" wrapped around it. I am not entirely sure what the purpose of
this thing is, but my question is this: Should I peel that "thing" off
and try to "fit it" over the new drive?

Is this supposed to protect against potential shorts? Will it "melt"
with a bigger (and presumably hotter) disk?

Any clues? Anyone? :-)

Cheers,
Peter
--