Subject: Help with NetBSD 2.0 & Qube2
To: None <>
From: <>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/20/2006 02:16:13
Hello all,

I'm quite new to the UNIX environment and would like some direction.=20
I've successfully installed NetBSD 2.0 on my Qube2 by following the
software guide on  The first part of the software guide
is great even for newbies like me, but I'm stuck at the Software
Packages section - 2.1.  My ultimate goal is to setup apache, samba,
and Webmin (to make my life easier, I'm hoping) but I don't know much
about getting these installed.  Here are my questions:

Are apache, perl, and samba already included in NetBSD or do I need to
get these packages separately?  Is there a default path for the
package directory?

Is this what I need to do next (from ? :

            setenv PKG_PATH
            pkg_add -v the_package

            pkg_add -v bash; usermod -c "" -s /usr/pkg/bin/bash root;
            pkg_add -v apache

I used the most recent iso for 2.0 that I could find -> July 14
available here:

Also, the lcd panel displays what it should but the menu buttons don't
seem to do anything (whereas they worked with the old OS).  Is that
'normal' behaviour?

I apologize if this is not the right place to be asking these types of
questions.  I don't know where else to go.  I have very simple needs
though I can't bring myself to stick with the old Cobalt Linux OS.=20
I'm a doctor and am using the Qube to serve web & mail for my
practice... so for me that mostly means apache, perl, samba, and

Thank you to all involved in getting me this far.  I sincerely
appreciate your help.