Subject: Re: Netbsd 3.0 and qube 1
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/19/2006 20:08:03
DEKENS Ray wrote:
> Greetings
>
> My qube 1 is down atm as i needed to steal the 120G drive out of
> it.... so this now provides an opportunity to attempt to roll it up
> to 3.0 via a restore Cd.
>
> So on to the questions - I assumw 3.0 has not fixed the known issue
> with the hardware implementation of the tulip nic on the rev 1.0
> hardware - which prevents booting -
>
> This was gotten around with 1.6.x by fitting a 3com 905 in the pci
> slot and using a kernel which then used this interface rather than
> the tlp for the install process and opertation.
>
> Has this been incorporated into the 3.0 restore for us few poor qube
> 1 users ? Can it be ?
>
> Regards Ray Dekens

I have recently created a 3.0 restore CD (based on the eariler work of
some talented individuals), but I have absolutely no idea whether the
Tulip NIC problem has been resolved.

What I put on the CD is the raw 3.0 official distribution, so I guess if
someone did fix that problem then the fix would be on the CD.

I have only a Qube 2 on which to test it, and my install worked fine,
although a couple of ppl have mentioned a handful of miscellaneous
problems, most of which are readily solvable.

I would suggest, if you have a spare hard drive, that you attempt the
install and see what happens.  You might be pleasantly surprised :)

Rowdy