Subject: Re: reboot hangs on RAQ 2+ install
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/01/2005 15:33:01
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:27:37 -0700
Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/05, Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com> wrote:
> > I just installed NetBSD 2.1 to a RAQ 2+.  The installation appears
> > to finish successfully, but while rebooting, the server hangs with
> > the message "Starting Up".
> >
> > I read through the archives and found messages back in
> > September regarding scsi support being a problem on the RAQ 2+'s.
> > The solution in the archives was to build a kernel without scsi
> > support. Unfortunately, I don't have another computer running
> > NetBSD at this time to build such a kernel.
> >
> > I can't telnet or ssh from the laptop with the restore CD to check
> > for additional information.
> >
> > Does anyone have a working NetBSD 2.1 kernel running on a RAQ2+ that
> > they could send me?
>
> 2.1 probably isn't stable anyway.
>
> You should use one of the 3.0 release candidates, or wait a little
> while for 3.0 release.
>
> Andy

I may have to go the 3.0 route.

I installed 1.6.2 (for grins), which worked; but I still had the
problem that neither telnet nor ssh could be found on the computer
running the restore CD -- I couldn't change control the server to
change its network settings.  The information I got from the mailing
list archives suggested that I should be able to telnet to the server
to change its settings.  Have I missed something?

Thanks,

Andrew