Subject: Re: Restore Host OS [was: Re: 2.1 Kernels do not boot
To: Christopher Schultz <chris@christopherschultz.net>
From: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/27/2005 08:30:33
As I mentioned before, creating another restore cd is not my goal.
Restore cd is too inflexible due to it being a cd. It is not easily
modifiable.
My goal is to create easy reproduceable and rw environment which one can
use to recover or install netbsd on Qube/Raq. This includes i386 boxes,
which I do not have. Another goal is to create such environment hosted
on windows.

If you are running some sort of unix-like os at home, be this linux or
bsd, creating nfs boot environment for qube is a piece of cake. Windows
on the other hand is a problem. So I am trying as an experiment to use
virtual machine to run unix.

Virtual machine would not be large. To create it you only need base and
etc sets from i386. You will need all sets from cube but that you need
anyway every time you upgrade.

You only need to create machine once, later just replace the cobalt sets
and you have a new install environment. Saves future downloads.

The instructions also can be used to create recovery environment based
on unix, if you ignore VmWare part. I think that current FAQ, while
useful, is not detailed enough for average person to create a server for
booting qube. I would like to improve on that.

Regards,
Alex