Subject: Re: 2.1 Kernels do not boot when booted withbootloaderotherthannetbsd
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/23/2005 13:15:30
In article <4383BAE8.2070500@broadcom.com>
alexp@broadcom.com wrote:

> I am not trying to say netbsd kernel has a problem, what I am trying to
> say that the kernels I built have a problem and the GENERIC kernels do
> not load to the point of mounting root filesystem. I just want to
> investigate what is wrong as would like to keep ability to run my qube
> in the future.

Then the colo loader has some problem and it doesn't load
kernels properly, does it? I have no idea how to investigate
or fix the colo, but if you can get a ddb prompt (by sending
break on serial console), it might help.

> Nether mine or the generic kernels load on qube over the network. They
> only load using netbsd bootloader provided with the netbsd kernel.

INSTALL kernel in -current works for me with builtin loader.
Isn't it enough?

> This
> may prevent in the future from netbooting machine with the kernel older
> than 1.6.2.

Why? Do you say netbsd bootloader has some problem?

> > see src/sys/arch/cobalt/conf/INSTALL
> I do not appear to have this file in 2.1 kernel source. It probably
> comes from -current.

It's available on 3.0, but it's just a "shrinked" kernel
and there is no special magic.
---
Izumi Tsutsui