Subject: Re: 2.1 Kernels do not boot when
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/22/2005 22:59:03
>>That is enough indeed. I guess my next step should be to update
>>restorecd to environment based on -current. I still would like to find
>>out why 2.1 does not work though.
>

> I'll try to build INSTALL-like kernel on 2.x and check how it goes
> on my RaQ2. If it works, I'll send a pullup request for netbsd-2 branch.
Thanks for that.

>>Netbsd bootloader is just fine, but it cant load kernels over the
>>network and therefore can't be used as a first step to load a large
>>kernel. But if 3.0 works I do not see a need to do any first step loader.
>

> I see, maybe the way to go is to add kloader(4) support to
> cobalt kernels. It should be trivial though I have no idea
> how much work is needed for now.

I will look in to that, I am curious about that too.

>>The config utility that comes with 2.1 crashes when processing config
>>files. I had to build the one that comes with the kernel. Could that be
>>a problem?
>

> How does it crash?
>
> config(8) (which is now config(1) in -current BTW) tool should be
> sync'ed with target kernel sources. see
> http://www.NetBSD.org/guide/en/chap-build.html
> for details.
I did use complete 2.1 userland that I downloaded from netbsd torrent. I
downloaded iso image and used that to install 2.1
The config crashes like this - when I try to run it with or without
parameters it dumps core with following message:
Bus error (core dumped)

I don't know how netbsd maps mips exceptions but if this is a bus error
exception, config is accessing non existent memory or hardware. Although
I would expect TLB exception first because I would imagine that netbsd
is using memory protection.

>>On netbsd site there are daily directories for all of the oldre releases
>>as well. They seems to have newer files than official release directory.
>>What is in these  directories?
>

> http://www.NetBSD.org/Releases/release-map.html
> mentions about these releases and snapshots?
It does mention about daily snapshots. Thanks. So that means I would be
better off getting my sets from these directories rather than from the
torrent. I will upgrade and see how it goes.

Thank you for the info.

Alex