Subject: Re: 2.1 Kernels do not boot when booted withbootloaderotherthan
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/22/2005 16:42:16
> I don't know what kernels you built/tried, but why do you
> think that netbsd kernel has some problem even though
> it works fine with the native bootloader?
> Is the colo designed to load netbsd kernels?
CoLo is a linux loader, so it is designed to load linux kernel and pass
parameters to it. It has no problems with any elf file and can load file
from multiple sources like tftp, nfs, hdd, etc. It is actually very
nice. It also has a network shell and a serial shell and can browse
ext2/3 filesystems. But that is not the point.

I am not trying to say netbsd kernel has a problem, what I am trying to
say that the kernels I built have a problem and the GENERIC kernels do
not load to the point of mounting root filesystem. I just want to
investigate what is wrong as would like to keep ability to run my qube
in the future.

Nether mine or the generic kernels load on qube over the network. They
only load using netbsd bootloader provided with the netbsd kernel. This
may prevent in the future from netbooting machine with the kernel older
than 1.6.2. I want to find out what is wrong and how to fix it.

Current restore cd based on netbsd 1.6.1 and that already has some
problems due to different user land of restore cd and the version that
is being installed. I want to update restorecd to a more recent version.

>>What is the INSTALL kernel and how can I build one? Or where can I read
>>about it?
>

> see src/sys/arch/cobalt/conf/INSTALL
I do not appear to have this file in 2.1 kernel source. It probably
comes from -current.

Regards,
Alex