Subject: Some general questions about cobalt
To: NetBSD <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/18/2005 09:35:34
1. It seems like both Linux and NetBSD don't work in 64 bit mode on
these CPUs, although I think Linux is ahead a little. It's not
especially important to have 64 bit support I think, but it seems like
someone would have done this by now. Is it particularly difficult to
do on this CPU or something? Maybe this question belongs on the mips
list.

2. Even though the Qube has a PCI slot, it seems like there are a lot
of things that are not included that could be as far as PCI devices. A
USB/1394 card comes to mind. USB support doesn't exist in cobalt for
some reason. Is there a reason for this? I tried to get it working at
one point and I added in includes to the USB code, and the onboard USB
adapter was recognized as well as my card, but I don't know how to
make device nodes.

3. We seem to be playing a balancing act between what the firmware
will load vs. what the bootloader will load. I'm pretty sure that the
bootloader will load a kernel of pretty much any size, so why not let
us have more options for the cobalt kernel? Just a thought.

Would be nice if I knew C code better, I could just answer all my own
questions...

Thanks.

Andy