Subject: Re: installation on a Qube 2 with 16M RAM
To: Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au>
From: Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/14/2005 11:12:36
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Rowdy wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I have just acquired a Qube 2.  It has 16M RAM and a 4.3G HDD, and seems to
> be running the original Linux with patches upto and including 3.0.2
> (Sun/Cobalt's patch version number).
>
> I am planning (hoping) to install NetBSD on it, and have downloaded
> RestoreCD-COBALT-20-20050714-043549.iso.gz from
> ftp://raq2.s-zone.org/pub/NetBSD/cobalt/.  It seems to be the most recent
> that I could find.
>
> Are there likely to be any problems using this image to install NetBSD on a
> Qube 2 with 16M RAM?
>
> tia
>
> Rowdy

With 16 MB RAM, you will have problems with the original bootloader which
tries to load the image at address > 16 :-)

At least I had, although I didn't use the "Restore CD". It was with 2.0,
perhaps this issue is already solved by now?

Perhaps look for "bootloader" in the archives, I don't remember where to
get the modified version.

If you can't find it, get back to me and I'll send you a working copy.

(Or get more RAM).

-Florian