Subject: Re: RAQ2 boot problem
To: paulmac2@aol.com <paulmac2@aol.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/05/2005 06:42:49
On 9/4/05, paulmac2@aol.com <paulmac2@aol.com> wrote:
>=20
> Finally getting around to installing NetBSD 2.0.2 on my RAQ2 using the
> method=20
> suggested 7/26 by Andy from this list, but feeling very frustrated at the
> moment.=20
>  =20
> I am using Tsutsui-san's NetBSD/cobalt bootloader 2.0G (20040902) to get
> around=20
> the max kernel size problem.  As it starts loading the kernel all seems w=
ell
> until it=20
> waits for the SCSI bus devices to settle, and then...=20

Sorry to possibly state the obvious, but the firmware boots the NetBSD
bootloader, and the bootloader boots the kernel in the NetBSD root
partition right? A lot of people still seem stuck on trying to make a
kernel to fit on the Linux boot partition (as I was in the beginning),
so I'm hoping we can start clearing up that you don't need to do
that...
 =20
> Kernelized RAIDframe activated=20
> scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...=20
> wd0 at atabus0 drive 0INTRF=20
> panic: siop_intr: I shouldn't be there !=20
> Stopped at netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4: jr ra=20
> bdslot: nop=20
>  =20
> db>=20

Well, this could be a few things.  I'm not really smart enough about
the code to know what those messages mean after the panic, but I think
siop is related to the scsi controller. If you  you expect not to use
scsi, you might try commenting out the siop controller:

siop*           at pci? dev ? function ?        # NCR 53c8xx SCSI
and
scsibus*        at siop?

> How have other people been able to get this to work?  If I should be usin=
g a
> different=20
> kernel, I'll need to know how to build it because I'm going to have to do=
 it
> again to add=20
> IP forwarding, IPF and PPP.=20

I don't have the RAQ, so I don't use scsi at all.

First question is, have you ever built a kernel? Having experience
with building one on another machine would be helpful. But mostly you
want to do it with build.sh in the root of the source tree.

Very, very tersely, from another NetBSD machine or some machine which
can use build.sh reliably:

cd /usr
mv src src.old
cd /
ftp {all source sets, maybe other than xsrc]
tar xvzpf {all source sets for 2.0.2}
cd /usr/src/sys/arch/cobalt/conf
cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
vi MYKERNEL #edit out siop lines
mkdir /usr/obj
mkdir /usr/tools
cd /usr/src
./build.sh -m cobalt -T /usr/tools -O /usr/obj tools
./build.sh -m cobalt -u -T /usr/tools -O /usr/obj kernel=3DMYKERNEL
(-u keeps you from building the tool chain again if there is a kernel
build problem, as their almost inevitably will be as you hack the
config file around)

If your kernel builds, it will be at:

/usr/obj/sys/arch/hpcmips/compile/MYKERNEL/netbsd

Put this in your RAQ's root directory and try again.

Hope this helps. Use ./build.sh -h and read the docs about cross
building your system here:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/cross/

Andy