Subject: Re: HFS+ partition
To: None <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Kevin Jordan <krjordan@348north.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/13/2005 23:26:55
> Spotlight won't add metadata, it will only be there if you add it
> yourself.  You're mostly worried about Finder info and resource
> forks, I guess... well, if you install an AFP server on your Raq2,
> then maybe the right thing would happen (netatalk package).

Didn't realize that this AFP was an option.  Wonder if there is a webmin module to config it...

> Another option is to back up to an SMB volume (samba on the Raq2)...
> then the OS X side would do all of the heavy lifting for Finder info
> and resource forks itself (by using those pesky ._ files).

I chose to use Apache and WebDAV instead of samba.  I haven't looked to see if it is dropping .* files in there.  I assume it is.

> This, of course, is assuming you're just backing up by using Finder
> to copy files.  If you're not, then your backup software has to
> understand how to store the additional file attributes in its own
> storage format.  What are you using?

Just using Finder.  A lot of what I use it for is keeping copies of pictures and movies.  Some documents too, I guess.

Thanks for the response and insight.

KJ