Subject: Re: Willing to use PF on a Cobalt box...
To: Vini Engel <vini@unixpac.com.au>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/02/2005 19:10:55
On Aug 2, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Vini Engel wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am planning to use NetBSD on my Cobalt boxes to build firewalls and
> was wondering if there is anyone using the -current branch on their
> cobalt machines.
>
> The reason I am asking this is that because I am going to use PF
> and if
> I am not mistaken PF if not available on NetBSD 2.02 so that I will
> have
> to update to -current.
>
> Does anyone know if the -current is stable enough to be deployed?
>
> I am also looking for docs related to Cobalt and NetBSD so I would
> appreciate if any of you could send me links and/or docs.

I think that a lot of the good stuff (fixes) is possibly in -current
and perhaps not rolled into the stable branches yet.  From the last I
had read, anyway.

There are quite a few people here using -current;  I think you'd be
OK.  Looks like pf is part of the base; it's ready to go on my box,
anyway, (-current) and I didn't intentionally build it.

There are a couple of walkthru's to doing the netboot install, and
also some July .iso installers for netbsd-cobalt with -current.
You'll need a CPU with a supported network card though.  If you have
a boooting Qube 2, you could follow the walkthru (available from
serverl I'm sure).

See the July 13th and earlier dates of this list for some threads,
notably from Andreas Schaefer: