Subject: Re: Raq2 upgrade
To: paulmac2@aol.com <paulmac2@aol.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/26/2005 08:43:36
On 7/26/05, paulmac2@aol.com <paulmac2@aol.com> wrote:
>=20
> What is the best way to upgrade a Raq2 from 1.6 to 2.0.2 without=20
> blowing away custom disklabels or losing data on the currently=20
> running system?=20

Have you ever done a manual install of NetBSD before, meaning
unpacking the sets yourself and setting it up enough to boot? This
would be probably the easiest way. Here's something like what I'd do:

log in via serial console
back up /etc
grab all the 2.0.2 install sets and put them in /
put the generic 2.0.2 kernel in place (but if you have custom options
you absolutely need, you  might want to build a new kernel and not use
the generic one)
set rc_configured to NO in rc.conf
reboot
machine will be in single user mode
unpack all the install sets
re-set up /etc the way you want it
reboot

And, roughly, that's it. It really helps to have previous upgrade
experience and also installing by hand experience.

Andy