Subject: proc table full, increase kern.maxproc
To: port-cobalt <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/13/2005 13:42:39
so, after  a reboot, it was taking ...ages... for the Qube to come
back up.

I popped onto the serial port, I guess I've added too much stuff to
rc.conf :)  I need to rebuild the kernel with kern.maxproc set higher.

I'm waiting to see if it will come up eventually, but it's taking
forever and generating many many

/rc.conf cnnot vfork
proc table is full, increase kern.maxproc

messages.  I'm not even much past the _building databases_ dmesg.
Long way to go, yet.

I gave up on it ever coming up; power toggle, abort the boot
sequence, single user mode.  OK.

Edit rc.conf and turn off some of the stuff I've added, that's making
too many processes.  OK.

But it's a read-only filesystem, and I can't save!

I guess this means I also cannot cp rc.conf.orig over rc.conf.

what's the way out?  Wait for hours for it to come up( if it ever
will?) so I can write to the filesystem and fix the problem?  there
must be a sexy solution.

thanks,

Brian