Subject: compiling samsung-gdi and ESP/CUPS
To: port-cobalt <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/10/2005 16:24:58
I'm successfully using the OSX samsung-gdi drivers for OS X to
network print to my Samsung ML-1740 (as a ML-1210) for lpr printing
(belkin 2-port USB printserv), along with an updated ESP ghostscript.
I can't believe it all works, but it seems perfect.

I'd like to try and build this on NetBSD so I could print to the lpr
from my Qube2 (MIPS) running NetBSD -current.

The Samsung-gdi package:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/samsung-gdi/
This looks just like a bunch of PPDs.

The ESP ghostscript:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/foomatic/
ESP Ghostscript 7.05.5 (ESP GS) is an open-source PostScript
interpreter that includes integrated support for the CUPS printing
system in Mac OS X Jaguar

I'm a little unclear about what is going on by using these drivers.
Samsung docs say this isn't a postscript printer, but we're using ESP
and special ppd postscript drivers and all works fine? hmm....  I've
got the printer networked via a Belkin 2-port USB printserver, says
it does the magic as an lpr.

What are the chances of getting this built under NetBSD and having it
work?

And, what would I have to build to start with?  I see ghostscript-esp-
nox11 which would be my first choice, since X didn't build nicely for
me when I tried earlier.
And gimp-print-cups is there, but I'm not sure what it needs.

Neither the ML-1710 nor the ML-1740 are listed as supported by the
gimp-print website.  so that's likely out without using the samsung-
gdi ppd from linuxprinting.org.  Will that be likey to work OK with
the pkgsrc version of gimp-print?  there is a full version difference
in the EPS-ghostscript at least, not sure about the gimp-print.

Thanks for pointers on what might work/ where I would start.  It
would be great if all I need to do is guild ghostscript-esp, then
gimp-print-cups, drop in the special ppd and run.  But I think there
will likely be more to it than that...

Brian