Subject: Re: lags with Updated RestoreCD iso image.
To: Andreas Schaefer <AndiSHFR@gmx.net>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/06/2005 10:23:55

>> On Jul 3, 2005, at 2:44 PM, Andreas Schaefer wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Brian.
>>>
>>> You are welcome to give a real CURRENT a trial.
>>>
>>> ftp://raq2.s-zone.org/pub/NetBSD/RestoreCD-
>>> COBALT-20-20050703-181453.iso.gz

Well, it went up fine, I got the -current pkgsrc and built a few
things, but still have a huge lag when using ssh from the WAN side.

telnet through LAN or WAN is snappy.  ssh thru LAN side is fine.

file downloads from netbsd.org go super fast (thru WAN of course).

file transfers within the LAN (sftp user@192.168.0.5) go super fast.

file transfers from the WAN side (sftp user@host.domain) go at 2kb/
second (that's lower case b) or less.

I've swapped cables but that doesn't help, and if it were a bad cable
I'd expect slow transfers everywhere, and telnet not to work well,
since telnet doesn't do well with packet loss at all.

I've got UseDNS no    set.

I've turned PAM off just in case, it was performing strangely for me
under 1.6.1.

I'm stumped!

Could I have something set improperly for host/domain settings?  It's
all the same as it was when I had 1.6.1.

This is using a Netgear MR814v2 router, I've changed from my old
Netgear MR314 as the MR314 could not disable remote admin, people
were always trying to telnet into it.    throughput for everything
else and other CPUs in the hosue  is super fast; it seems unlikely to
be the router or cabling to me.

I guess I can download all the 2.0.2 release stuff and try that.

I haven't tried building my own kernel, but I don't have any constant
messages about my SCSI card as I did in 1.6.1.

Thoughts welcome.  I would especially appreciate ideas on system
stats to look at, to tell me WHERE the lag is coming from.

thanks,

Brian