Subject: Re: lags with Updated RestoreCD iso image.
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/03/2005 13:17:08
On Jul 2, 2005, at 8:30 AM, Brian wrote:

> On Saturday, July 2, 2005, at 07:08 AM, Philip Plant wrote:
>

>> OK.  Are you sure that you have good network cabling and also that
>> your
>> speed and duplex settings are correct?  Don't trust auto-negotiation,
>> make sure that the settings are right.
>>

> It's totally related to sshd.  IF I telnet in, even with 3 big
> compiles going on, all tty responses are snappy.
>
> If I ssh in from OSX terminal application, the term chosen is xterm-
> color, everything is laggy.
> Doesn't matter if I come in thru WAN side or LAN side.  Or maybe
> it's a termcap thing.  I'm not sure how to look into that, I don't
> bother with X, this is just a headless fileserver mostly.

I upgraded to  openssh-3.9p1.tar.gz  and openssl-0.9.7f.tar.gz from
pkgsrc;  still no change.  Telnet is blazing, ssh is dog slow.

I'm about to make a custom kernel and see if that helps.

Could this be a termcap thing?  How do I force different terminal
types at connect; it's sucking xterm-color out of the OSX terminal,
somehow.  With my old 1.6.1 setup, xterm-color was unknown and I got
to manually type in xterm, and all was fine.  hmmm... but sftp file
transfers are also affected, so I guess this is unlikely.

I don't think it's a problem with the changes Andreas made,
especially.  I think it's something easy on my end.  From past
experience: )

Brian