Subject: Re: lags with Updated RestoreCD iso image.
To: Philip Plant <cobalt@greenfinch.com>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/02/2005 08:30:36
On Saturday, July 2, 2005, at 07:08 AM, Philip Plant wrote:

> OK.  Are you sure that you have good network cabling and also that your
> speed and duplex settings are correct?  Don't trust auto-negotiation,
> make sure that the settings are right.

It's totally related to sshd.  IF I telnet in, even with 3 big compiles
going on, all tty responses are snappy.

If I ssh in from OSX terminal application, the term chosen is
xterm-color, everything is laggy.
Doesn't matter if I come in thru WAN side or LAN side.  Or maybe it's a
termcap thing.  I'm not sure how to look into that, I don't bother with
X, this is just a headless fileserver mostly.

IF I telnet in, from LAN or WAN, it's snappy, although through WAN side
is a tiny bit laggy occasionally.

I guess I'll swap a cable; but I would expect that telnet would lose
the connection pretty fast, it's not good with packet loss.  pings
inside the LAN are fine; pings to the cable modem are fine but stop
there of course.

I haven't checked which is being used to encrypt the ssh but I assume
MD5.  I know I can set that, somewhere.  I can't believe that would be
too much math for the box though :/

Thanks for thoughts.

Brian