Subject: Re: Cobalt XTR
To: Peter Zinc <tc2600@gmail.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/29/2005 09:09:33
On 5/29/05, Peter Zinc <tc2600@gmail.com> wrote:
> of the topics are on MIPS based cobalts .. mine on the other hand is a
> Pentium III Coppermine Processor, 256 RAM. I've tried to incorporate

> * copied the netbsd-GENERIC.gz kernel into root directory
> (ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0.2/cobalt/binary/kernel/netbsd=
-GENERIC.gz)

You can't do that, that kernel is for mips only, not intel. Nobody
that I know of has built a kernel that will boot on an intel based
Cobalt machine. Not a NetBSD one anyway.

This topic comes up once in a while. If anyone has run their own
distro of Linux on the intel based Cobalt, this would be good info on
how to possibly boot a kernel from i386 land.

But since it hasn't been done (not that I know of anyway) with NetBSD,
it likely just doesn't work.

Andy