Subject: Re: How big does the boot disk has to be?
To: Carsten Pache <newsabo@gmx.info>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/26/2005 06:14:56
On 4/25/05, Carsten Pache <newsabo@gmx.info> wrote:
> Good evening,
>=20
> as the current boot disk of my Qube II is a little noisy, I decided
> to replace the disk by a silent one from a laptop and install NetBSD
> 2.0. Unfortunately, the silent disk has a capacity of only 2.1 GB.
>=20
> Is that enough to install NetBSD 2.0 on it? I started the installation
> over six hours ago and the Qube keeps showing "Unpacking base.tgz..."
> for several hours now.
>=20
> There is no output on the serial console (okay, I just plugged it in
> half an hour or so ago), so I do not know if my Qube currently is doing
> anything...

The guy that made the install CD should really answer this, but I
can't see even the biggest install of NetBSD needing more space than
that. The swap partition is created at twice the size of your memory,
so even if you have 256 megs, that would leave about 1.5 gig for the
OS, which again is plenty.

I'm considering doing the same thing with a laptop drive. I'd feel
better about removing the fan at that point as well.

Andy