Subject: Cobalt Restore CD & Laptop NIC's
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Bramley <brams@mac.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/18/2005 12:12:28
Hi

I=B9m trying to restore the NetBSD 2.0-1 CD onto my Qube 2 using a Sony Vaio
PCG-F540 laptop and a 3COM Megahertz 10/100 network card (Model:
3CCFE575CT), with no success at all, the card works OK under Win 2K but it
does not look like that NetBSD will drive it (link light on NIC and hub do
not light up), I bought the card specially for this purpose and from what I
could tell I thought it was supported by NetBSD as listed on the i386 distr=
hardware guide:

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?ex+4+NetBSD-current

It=B9s also mentioned here that pretty much any 3COM card will work:

http://www.christopherschultz.net/projects/qube/qube.html

Rather than make the same mistake twice, please could somebody advise me by
telling what laptop NIC=B9s PCMCIA or Cardbus work with theCobalt NetBSD
restore CD=B9s?

The first time I did my Qube last year I used a friends IBM ThinkPad with
built Ethernet and that worked fine, he=B9s since sold the ThinkPad though

Thanks Regards Mick Bramley