Subject: Re: How to make PHP work in Apache?
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Carsten Pache <newsabo@gmx.info>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/11/2005 10:37:28
On Friday, April 8, 2005, Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I installed Apache 2.0.53 and PHP 5.0.3 from pkgsrc (make, make
>> install). Apache works, but how do I include PHP? So far I only worked
>> with a LAMP installation where everything was setup automatically.
>>
>> Any hints?

> Install /usr/pkgsrc/www/ap-php/

> There should be a message about how you need to configure apache to
> make it work.

Thanks for your help - that was the part that apparently was missing.

However, the message that is shown after PHP has been installed is a
little bit misleading:

$NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.1.1.1 2004/11/04 18:42:03 jdolecek Exp $

In order to use this module in your Apache 1.x installation, you need to
add the following to your httpd.conf file:

  LoadModule php4_module lib/httpd/mod_php5.so
  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

You may also add following if you still use .php3 files:

  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php3

For Apache 2.x installation, you need following:

  LoadModule php4_module lib/httpd/mod_php5.so
  AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php

You may also add following if you still use .php3 files:

  AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php3

"php4_module" has to be replaced by "php5_module", otherwise you get
an error (something like "undefined symbol" in
"lib/httpd/mod_php5.so"). With "php5_module" it works (at least I now
get the phpinfo screen).

> I used to have to hand edit php.ini to make it work with other plugins
> like postgresql or mysql, but I don't think you have to do that
> anymore (that's only if you want to use those).

I also need mysql. How long did the "make/make install" routine of
mysql take?

--
Regards
Carsten