Subject: Re: Cobalt Qube 2 Memory Simms again..
To: Pete Rushmere <pete@rushmere.org>
From: Michael Bramley <brams@mac.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/27/2005 17:10:09

--Boundary_(ID_yS/jvWc5CInu2NUtp6JSjw)

Hi

OK I=B9ve been trying to sniff out some 64mb simms for the BeBox & the Qube 2
and stumbled across this auction in the states:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3D4611&item=3D6753550002=
&
rd=3D1

He says that this ram is 3.3 or 5 volts compatible.

Can anybody tell me does it make a difference if ram is 4k or 2k refresh fo=
a Qube 2?

Regards
Mick Bramley

> [...]
ere
> only seems to be one buyer interested. If they don't sell I'll maybe put =
them
> up for grabs here for the price of postage! There'll be another 12 pieces
> available in the near future, they are coming out of some de-commissioned
> equipment at work - I hate throwing stuff away!
>=20
>         I did a bit more searching this afternoon and found a few posts
> (non-Qube related) that say 5v mem will indeed work at 3.3v with no probl=
em,
> however the general opinion seems to be not to mix 5v & 3.3v modules. I'm
> assuming the Sun ram would be 3.3v so maybe adding a 5v would not work, b=
ut
> I'm only guessing here...
>=20
> Kind Regards,
> Pete.
>=20
> At 16:58 26/03/2005, Michael Bramley wrote:
>> Hi Pete
>>=20
>> Sorry I didn=B9t realise it was your auction, no offence meant.
>>=20
>> IMHO you did mention in the auction that they are 5v simms, I=B9d probably=
 put
>> a Caveat Emptor in there as an addition, also mention the fact that they=
 are
>> supposed to use 3.3v and you verified this having measured your Qube 2 w=
ith a
>> volt meter, however that said, they do appear to work.
>>=20
>> The reason 5v simms seem to work is anybody's guess.
>>=20
>> Regards
>> Mick Bramley
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Hi All,
>>=20
>>         OK, I was bored today anyway :-) I just googled for the pin-out =
for a
>> 72 pin simm and dismantled one of the Qube2s. Pin 1 is VSS (Ground) and =
pin
>> 10 is VCC. Measuring between these with the Qube2 running gives me a vol=
tage
>> of 3.3v. This now raises two issues - why do 5v simms work and should I =
pull
>> the auctions while there is still time?
>>=20
>> Kind Regards,
>> Pete.
>>=20
>> At 12:21 26/03/2005, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
>> Hi
>>=20
>> Pretty shure also we are using 5v Simms in one Qube2 and three RAQ's wit=
hout
>> having any problems.
>> I'll open the qube tonight to confirm the type of Simm i'm using.
Raq 2

--
When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute, and it's longer than any
hour.  That's relativity.  =AD  Albert Einstein

--Boundary_(ID_yS/jvWc5CInu2NUtp6JSjw)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Cobalt Qube 2 Memory Simms again..</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Hi<BR=

<BR>
OK I&#8217;ve been trying to sniff out some 64mb simms for the BeBox &amp; =
the Qube 2 and stumbled across this auction in the states:<BR>
<BR>
753550002&rd=3D1">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=3D4=
611&amp;item=3D6753550002&amp;rd=3D1</a><BR>
<BR>
He says that this ram is 3.3 or 5 volts compatible.<BR>
<BR>
Can anybody tell me does it make a difference if ram is 4k or 2k refresh fo=
r a Qube 2?<BR>
<BR>
Regards<BR>
Mick Bramley<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYL=
E=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Hi Mick,<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No offence taken!<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I did add they may not work=
 on everyone's Qube, at the moment, there only seems to be one buyer interes=
ted. If they don't sell I'll maybe put them up for grabs here for the price =
of postage! There'll be another 12 pieces available in the near future, they=
 are coming out of some de-commissioned equipment at work - I hate throwing =
stuff away!<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I did a bit more searching =
this afternoon and found a few posts (non-Qube related) that say 5v mem will=
 indeed work at 3.3v with no problem, however the general opinion seems to b=
e not to mix 5v &amp; 3.3v modules. I'm assuming the Sun ram would be 3.3v s=
o maybe adding a 5v would not work, but I'm only guessing here...<BR>
<BR>
Kind Regards,<BR>
Pete.<BR>
<BR>
At 16:58 26/03/2005, Michael Bramley wrote:<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYL=
E=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Hi Pete<BR>
<BR>
Sorry I didn&#8217;t realise it was your auction, no offence meant.<BR>
<BR>
IMHO you did mention in the auction that they are 5v simms, I&#8217;d proba=
bly put a Caveat Emptor in there as an addition, also mention the fact that =
they are supposed to use 3.3v and you verified this having measured your Qub=
e 2 with a volt meter, however that said, they do appear to work.<BR>
<BR>
The reason 5v simms seem to work is anybody's guess.<BR>
<BR>
Regards<BR>
Mick Bramley<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Hi All,<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;OK, I was bored today anywa=
y :-) I just googled for the pin-out for a 72 pin simm and dismantled one of=
 the Qube2s. Pin 1 is VSS (Ground) and pin 10 is VCC. Measuring between thes=
e with the Qube2 running gives me a voltage of 3.3v. This now raises two iss=
ues - why do 5v simms work and should I pull the auctions while there is sti=
ll time?<BR>
<BR>
Kind Regards,<BR>
Pete.<BR>
<BR>
At 12:21 26/03/2005, Andreas Fuchs wrote:<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF">Hi<BR>
</FONT><BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF">Pretty shure also we are using 5v Simms in one Qube2 =
and three RAQ's without having any problems.<BR>
I'll open the qube tonight to confirm the type of Simm i'm using.<BR>
</FONT><BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF">Andreas<BR>
</FONT><BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Tahom=
a">Von:</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> port-cobalt-owner@NetB=
SD.org [<a href=3D"mailto:port-cobalt-owner@NetBSD.org]">mailto:port-cobalt-ow=
ner@NetBSD.org]</a> Im Auftrag von Michael Bramley<BR>