Subject: Re: Cobalt Qube 2 Memory Simms again..
To: Pete Rushmere <pete@rushmere.org>
From: Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/26/2005 22:30:54

--0-372333727-1111872654=:192

> Hi Mick,
>=20
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0No offence taken!
>=20
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I did add they may not work on everyone's Qube, a=
t the moment,
> there only seems to be one buyer interested. If they don't sell I'll
> maybe put them up for grabs here for the price of postage! There'll be
> another 12 pieces available in the near future, they are coming out of
> some de-commissioned equipment at work - I hate throwing stuff away!
>=20
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I did a bit more searching this afternoon and fou=
nd a few posts
> (non-Qube related) that say 5v mem will indeed work at 3.3v with no
> problem, however the general opinion seems to be not to mix 5v & 3.3v
> modules. I'm assuming the Sun ram would be 3.3v so maybe adding a 5v
> would not work, but I'm only guessing here...
>=20
> Kind Regards,
> Pete.
>=20
> At 16:58 26/03/2005, Michael Bramley wrote:
>       Hi Pete
>=20
>       Sorry I didn=92t realise it was your auction, no offence meant.
>=20
>       IMHO you did mention in the auction that they are 5v simms,
>       I=92d probably put a Caveat Emptor in there as an addition,
>       also mention the fact that they are supposed to use 3.3v and
>       you verified this having measured your Qube 2 with a volt
>       meter, however that said, they do appear to work.
>=20
>       The reason 5v simms seem to work is anybody's guess.
>=20
>       Regards
>       Mick Bramley
>=20
>=20
>=20
>             Hi All,
>=20
>             =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 OK, I was bored today anyway :-) I just=
 googled
>             for the pin-out for a 72 pin simm and dismantled one of
>             the Qube2s. Pin 1 is VSS (Ground) and pin 10 is VCC.
>             Measuring between these with the Qube2 running gives me
>             a voltage of 3.3v. This now raises two issues - why do
>             5v simms work and should I pull the auctions while
>             there is still time?
>=20
>             Kind Regards,
>             Pete.
>=20
>             At 12:21 26/03/2005, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
>             Hi
>=20
>             Pretty shure also we are using 5v Simms in one Qube2
>             and three RAQ's without having any problems.
>             I'll open the qube tonight to confirm the type of Simm
>             i'm using.
>=20
>             =A0
> [...]

I have two Simms I think they are from a SGI machine. Strange, these seem
to also work in the Cube. Should be 36-bit, thus party, right? Maybe they
were in the wrong box at home, if not, then seems like at least the cubes
accept a much wider range of RAM than Sun claims to.

Anybode here can tell wheter the Qube DOES accept this kinda RAM?

-Florian

--0-372333727-1111872654=:192--