Subject: Re: Binary packages
To: Justin Newcomer <liquidice5@gmail.com>
From: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/21/2005 08:35:08
I had this question myself - how do I maintain my installation? I think
at this point I came to the conclusion that maintaining from source is
the best policy. Qube is not very good at compiling things. It would
take probably couple of months to do a bulk build. By that time you will
need to start again because of the different updates.

I use SPECIFIC_PACKAGES and periodically rebuild things that are
outdated. It takes around 20 hours to rebuild all of the things that are
used. I don't know if this is the right way but it seems to work for me.
NetBSD team does not take any packages that were not build by them. I
think this is the correct policy. Anyone can introduce trojan and with
so many windows zombie computers I would not be surprised if someone
tried. Although I think that Qube will not be a primary target :).

Unless you are doing builds in a chroot jail make package and make
install do almost the same thing. If you are of impatient kind I suggest
setting up cross build environment on a fast PC. It will take only a few
hours to setup and you can build very fast.
If someone is willing to provide webspace, I am willing to contribute my
cpu time as far as compiling goes, and upload the packages.

If anyone knows the correct way to maintain NetBSD install, I would be
interested to know.

Thanks,
Alex