Subject: linux vs. netbsd: /var/log/message output?
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/15/2005 22:45:36
Hi all;

I'm modifying some (linux) shell scripts that do things with the output
from  /var/log/message.   As the scripts are meant for a linux system,
there seems to be a lot more in /var/log/message there than on netbsd
(my netbsd install anyway).

For example, my tail -10 /var/log/message just gives me lots of times
that syslogd restarted.  The script I'm tweeking indicates that on
linux, a lot more stuff (that goes into authlog for me, perhaps) get
run.

Could someone mail me the output of tail -10 /var/log/message from
their linux box?  I'd like to make sure I understand the file parsing.

I don't see that there is a verbose option to change for this log file
for netbsd, or anything- but that doesn't mean there is not an option
for that somewhere.

Thanks,

Brian