Subject: Re: PCI to PCMCIA adapters
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/09/2005 20:49:41
On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 20:37, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 06:33:48 -0500, Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone tried any of these types of products?  That would be a nice
> > way to add cards to a Qube, you can get twin adapters so you could try
> > USB and firewire PCMCIA cards at the same time.  Or even if we'd be
> > limited to using one at a time, it would still be easier to switch
> > cards around since you would not have to open up the case.  Like the
> > ELAN P111 <http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/p111.php>.
> >
> > It looks like some support started in NetBSD 1.5?
> > <http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?cbb+4+NetBSD-current>
> >
> > Does it work OK on the Qube?
> >
> > I just happen to have a bunch of PCMCIA cards hanging around gathering
> > dust :) so the cost for one adapter to make a few of them work on the
> > Qube would not be unreasonable to think about.
>
> The real question is if it's supported in NetBSD at all. I would think
> this would be some generic PCI to PCMCIA (or cardbus I suppose) bridge
> type support which should be added to anything that supports PCI.
>
> I don't know if it's supported but some quick searching might provide details.

The supported PCI hardware pages
(http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html) list YENTA-compatible
PCI-CardBus bridges as supported by the cbb(4) driver. I expect one of
these would behave just like a laptop with its CardBus slots.

AFAIK some of the PCI-CardBus adapters shipped with various CardBus WiFi
cards aren't generic all-purpose bridges in that they can only be used
with the intended model of WiFi card.

The ELAN P111 linked above claims to be YENTA compatible, so Cobalt PCI
bus notwithstanding, I would expect it to work.

Matt