Subject: Re: 2.0 upgrade
To: Daniel Ouellet <daniel@presscom.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/09/2005 09:49:49
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:53:01 -0500, Daniel Ouellet <daniel@presscom.net> wrote:
> Matt Dainty wrote:
> >
> > On 9 Mar 2005, at 03:37, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
> >

> >> Each person if free to compile what they fell they needs. I see no
> >> good reason to roll out a big fat kernel to everyone and have plenty
> >> of unused stuff distribute to everyone in case a minority wants to use
> >> one possible card.
> >>
> >> That's like saying the needs of the few out way the needs of the many...
> >

> > Surely that's the point of the GENERIC kernel config, something that
> > will work on 99% of the hardware? Your idea of a stripped kernel config
> > is probably different to someone else, and I don't think you should be
> > forced into a kernel recompile immediately after install to turn basic
> > stuff back on again.
>
> And what is compile now in the kernel is shown here as well:
>
> http://netbsd.ouellet.biz/iso/config-20.html
>
> and
>
> http://netbsd.ouellet.biz/iso/config-162.html
>
> for both version.
>
> If that's not supporting what you need, then you will have to recompile
> the kernel to fit your needs.
>
> Hope this help anyway and Alex did a great job at it.

I've yet to try the new restore CD (I've been running 2.0 for a while
now), but I agree, Alex should be applauded. Thanks!

As for the kernel, the point I was trying to get at is that since we
have a bootloader on the linux partition, there's no need to be too
worried about kernel size as far as GENERIC. It might be nice to
mention that if one chooses to load the kernel directly via the
firmware (ie the real kernel named vmlinux.gz rather than the
bootloader named vmlinux.gz), then this won't work. And it would be
nice to submit a known working kernel config to the source tree for
this reason.

But otherwise, GENERIC supports a great range of hardware in other
archs, why not this one? The Qube has a PCI slot, might as well take
advantage right? It's rather easier to trim the kernel down later
after the hardware setup is solidified than trying to add it in not
knowing exactly what to use, this is what adjustkernel is for.

My opinion only.

Andy