Subject: Re: 2.0 upgrade
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Daniel Ouellet <daniel@presscom.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/08/2005 22:37:25
> I had thought that less is better at one point, but since the
> bootloader works and you can have a kernel any size, it's not really a
> problem. Probably wouldn't hurt at all to submit some kernel conf
> files though.
>
> One thing that would be nice is to get some of the more common stuff
> into the kernel. I tried to get a USB card working at one point (PCI
> card, obviously), but it didn't work...
>
> But maybe this is due to a PCI bus bug?
>
> Anyway, I'm rambling now. It would be really nice to see whatever is
> possible to support on PCI and USB, to support it. I kind of agree
> that the scsi stuff should probably go away. At least the broken
> stuff. If people really want that they should re-compile.
>
> Andy

It's really not the norm to add card into the RaQ2, or cube.

May be if Alex wants, to, but I sure wouldn't include all type of
possible PCI cards in the kernel just in case.

Each person if free to compile what they fell they needs. I see no good
reason to roll out a big fat kernel to everyone and have plenty of
unused stuff distribute to everyone in case a minority wants to use one
possible card.

That's like saying the needs of the few out way the needs of the many...

Sorry, I don't by into that personally.

That may be just me, but that what I think.

Daniel