Subject: Re: LEDs at night [was: upgrading a qube2 with netbsd 1.6.1 to 2.0]
To: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
From: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/03/2005 15:16:21
--------------enig116EA60313DD3DD31F881505

Alex,

> I am still looking at how to control these
> green leds on the front. I would like to turn them off at night :).
> Should be some bit somewhere. I know it is possible because bios does it.

A friend of mine and I temporarily hacked my qube to produce less light
at night using simple photoresistors we got from Radio Shack. Their
behavior is to produce less resistance when you shine light on them, so
you can just put one of them in series with one of the LED wires.

The only problem is putting the photoresistor on the outside of the
qube... without going out through the expansion slots at the back, you
pretty much have to drill a hole through the case and internal, metal
qube that the hardware lives in. That's why I removed all the stuff
after the testing we did (which amounted to turning off the lights and
watching the LEDs get dim.. ooooohh...).

-chris