Subject: Re: upgrading a qube2 with netbsd 1.6.1 to 2.0
To: Carsten Pache <newsabo@gmx.info>
From: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/03/2005 10:03:41
Hi,
I would venture to guess that lcd driver in not compiled in to the
kernel by default, or not present in the stock kernel at all.

I have seen mentioning of the driver being in the 1.6.2 tree then in 2.0
tree. Personally I am running 1.6.2 which I upgraded from 1.6.1. In both
cases I had to apply lcd patch. You can get it from
http://only.mawhrin.net/~cdi/netbsd/cobalt/hd44780.diff.gz if it is
still there. If not I can post it in this ml.

LCD is usefull only in the beginning if at all. If you have serial
console it would be much more usefull than lcd. Of course it is nice to
have complete working qube. I am still looking at how to controll these
green leds on the front. I would like to turn them off at night :).
Should be some bit somewhere. I know it is possible because bios does it.

By the way I made 1.6.2 recovery cd using original recovery cd and
replacing distribution files. It should work but I have not had a chance
to test it. If anyone interested drop me an email and I will publish the
  torrent of it.

In my opinion qube is still an excellent toy computer although it is
getting old fast :(. Mac mini is the replacement which could more useful.

Thanks,
Alex