Subject: Re: upgrading a qube2 with netbsd 1.6.1 to 2.0
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Andreas Fuchs <fox@tcnet.ch>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/14/2005 00:16:04
Hi Andy

Thanks allot for your instructions. Looks quite straight forward, but from my
expirience with upgrading from 1.6 to 1.6.1 the hassles are coming while doing
it. I think i'll check in how to set up a machine where i can crosscompile for
the Qube first.

USB is running on my NetBSD 1.6ZJ kernel i patched and compiled, i really
wonder if those patches made it to the 2.0 distribution.
Cause i have still problem with the usb dev files:

qube:/dev # /dev/MAKEDEV usbs
/dev/MAKEDEV: usb: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: usb0: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: usb1: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: usb2: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: usb3: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: usb4: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: usb5: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: usb6: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: usb7: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: uhid0: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: uhid1: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: uhid2: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: uhid3: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: ulpt0: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: ulpt1: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: ttyU0: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: ttyU1: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: urio0: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: uscanner0: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: uscanner1: unknown device
/dev/MAKEDEV: ugen0: unknown device

Kiyohara made some sugestions in: http://mail-index.netbsd.
org/port-cobalt/2004/02/18/0003.html but that did not solve the problem

with display i meant the lcd panel on the back, here the problem was that
paneld is using more or less all cpu.

cheers

Andreas

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:17:12 -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:20:12 +0200, Andreas Fuchs <fox@tcnet.ch> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a running Qube2 with NetBSD 1.6.1 and i wonder if it is possible to
> > upgrade to 2.0
>
> It's possible to run, but I'm not sure how successful it is to
> upgrade. I did it so long ago I can't really remember.
>
> > - are there some short instructions somewhere?
>
> No, but I'll give it a shot.
>
> > - does it make sense ?
>
> Of course. Well, depending on your sensibilities :) You can probably
> run 1.6.1 for a while, or just update to the 1.6 stable branch and
> leave it at that if you like.
>
> > - is pci and usb support now included
>
> PCI support has always been included. USB support can be added, I
> don't think anyone actually added it into this kernel. This also
> implies, of course, that you have a USB card to use. If not, the USB
> built into the Qube has no external connectors.
>
> > - is there still patching neede for the display
>
> Display? Which display? Are you planning on using a pci video card? I
> was going to try that but I could never find one that would fit
> inside the Qube. It's a little tight in there...
>
> OK, in order to be successful at upgrading, you need to know
> something about the fundamentals of NetBSD. These directions aren't
> going to be wrong, but they may be incomplete just because I've been
> doing this so long. I take no responsibility if this doesn't go right!
>
> If you don't have a serial cable connected to get a serial console,
> then don't do this. You can't install a new OS while you are in multi
> user mode, unless someone can tell me different.
>
> Here are the VERY simplfied steps:
>
> 1. Download and install the GENERIC NetBSD 2.0 kernel. Get it here:
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0/cobalt/binary/sets/kern-GENERIC.
tgz