Subject: Re: MAKEDEV can't make /dev/audio* on Qube2
To: Andy Ruhl <>
From: Matthew Luckie <>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/09/2005 10:44:12
> If you read the MAKEDEV script, you find that it's mostly doing mknod.
> The man page for mknod says to look here for more info about major
> numbers:
> ``/usr/src/sys/arch/<arch>/<arch>/conf.c''
> But I just looked at a few architectures and conf.c doesn't exist.

it does on my 1.6.1 system.

> But if you figure it out it would be nice to get smb devices built
> too. I got the kernel to compile with SMBFS, but MAKEDEV doesn't build
> the devices.

there are currently no major numbers for audio or for smbfs (the
major.i386 file references nsmb).

i'm not sure what the process for obtaining a major number is.  but i
don't think it is as simple as getting one assigned and then the device
magically working.  someone else will have to field that one.