Subject: Re: little things that bother me
To: Daniel C. Sinclair <daniel.c.sinclair@gmail.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/06/2005 05:52:16
On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 14:53:56 -0800, Daniel C. Sinclair
<daniel.c.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 06:12:44 -0700, Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:19:56 -0800, Daniel C. Sinclair
> > <daniel.c.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It's not very easy, but here are the steps I used to install 2.0 on my Cube2:
> > >
> [snip]
> >
> > That's a pretty slick way to do it too... You could also just put a
> > kernel that wants to mount root over nfs in /usr/games/.doug (in the
> > linux partition) and go about it that way. That way you have full
> > control of the disk at that point since it isn't in use. Very nice.
>
> That's true, but it requires that the Qube2 (I had forgotten it was
> spelled with a Q) is already running an OS.  The harddrive in mine had

True... I think it's more of an easy upgrade method than an install
from scratch method.

> > Re: the 2.0 CD. I had said that I was going to look at it, but I
> > haven't had time yet. I'm hoping it will be as easy as just replacing
> > the old 1.6.1 sets with the 2.0 sets, and changing some stuff about
> > the way it edits rc.conf (and whatever else changed between 1.6.1 and
> > 2.0). Also, I'm not too smart about some of this automation stuff so I
> > can't guarantee results. I think the author of the first recovery CD
> > said he might make a new one too.
>
> I had considered doing it myself too.  I don't really like the fully
> automated install so I would just make a bootable CD with netboot/NFS
> set up.  From there the user would netboot and log in via a null-modem
> cable or telnet.  The installation could be done manually or by a
> script, but getting the standard NetBSD setup program working would be
> the best.  Does anyone know why that isn't compiled for the cobalt
> port?

Maybe something to do with the need to have an old style ext2fs boot
partition? Don't know... Next problem is that serial consoles seem to
be a huge barrier for entry for newbies. I had set one up on a box a
long time ago, but found I really don't need it in i386 land for the
most part... But for anything other than i386, it's really nice.

> > I'm still of the opinion that it's worth taking the disk out and
> > setting it up on another box. It will probably take less time from
> > beginning to end than doing the network install, but it does require
> > another NetBSD machine and a little skill about how NetBSD boots.
>
> In Michael Bramley's case, where he only has limited access to his
> Qube2, it might be.  I just don't like messing around with hardware
> when there is a way to do it with software.

I'm kind of the opposite I suppose. I like messing with hardware.

Andy