Subject: Re: little things that bother me
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel C. Sinclair <daniel.c.sinclair@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/05/2005 14:53:56
On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 06:12:44 -0700, Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:19:56 -0800, Daniel C. Sinclair
> <daniel.c.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's not very easy, but here are the steps I used to install 2.0 on my Cube2:

[snip]

> That's a pretty slick way to do it too... You could also just put a
> kernel that wants to mount root over nfs in /usr/games/.doug (in the
> linux partition) and go about it that way. That way you have full
> control of the disk at that point since it isn't in use. Very nice.

That's true, but it requires that the Qube2 (I had forgotten it was
spelled with a Q) is already running an OS.  The harddrive in mine had
nothing on it so I had to set up the netboot/NFS server.  I could have
removed the harddrive and put it in another computer but that's a
hassle - and if it doesn't work you have to do it again!  And if you
are going to set up NFS for sharing root, you might as well set up
netboot too, it's not much more work.  It's also great to
cross-compile kernels on a more powerful computer and test them via
netboot.

> Re: the 2.0 CD. I had said that I was going to look at it, but I
> haven't had time yet. I'm hoping it will be as easy as just replacing
> the old 1.6.1 sets with the 2.0 sets, and changing some stuff about
> the way it edits rc.conf (and whatever else changed between 1.6.1 and
> 2.0). Also, I'm not too smart about some of this automation stuff so I
> can't guarantee results. I think the author of the first recovery CD
> said he might make a new one too.

I had considered doing it myself too.  I don't really like the fully
automated install so I would just make a bootable CD with netboot/NFS
set up.  From there the user would netboot and log in via a null-modem
cable or telnet.  The installation could be done manually or by a
script, but getting the standard NetBSD setup program working would be
the best.  Does anyone know why that isn't compiled for the cobalt
port?

> I'm still of the opinion that it's worth taking the disk out and
> setting it up on another box. It will probably take less time from
> beginning to end than doing the network install, but it does require
> another NetBSD machine and a little skill about how NetBSD boots.

In Michael Bramley's case, where he only has limited access to his
Qube2, it might be.  I just don't like messing around with hardware
when there is a way to do it with software.

Daniel